Friday, September 9, 2011

Yaquina Head (Near Newport Oregon)

Kind of in the woods

Yaquina Head

Black Rocks at Cobble Beach

Jack and I visited the Yaquina Head Lighthouse this morning which was first  lit in 1873. We opted for the beach instead of climbing the 114 steps to the top of the lighthouse.There is a steep stairway that leads to a black rock beach where I had planned on "mining" rocks for my beach at home,however, there was a Forest Service guy sitting at the bottom of the steps....obviously watching for people like me who takes rocks off beaches. I put my little plastic bag away and took pictures instead.When the waves break over the round,black rocks they make a "gurgling "noise. The fog rolled in and out and we could hear some ships blowing their horns way out in the ocean. The wind was quite strong and cold enough to make my ears hurt, so we did not spend too much time on the beach. Actually had to turn the heat on tonight. Not complaining...the cooler temps are pleasant and since it is still well over 100 degrees in the desert I'll enjoy  it while I can.

Tomorrow is the Newport Wild Seafood Festival on the bayfront in town.

Yaquina Head Lighthouse with the Fog rolling in

Trail from the campground to the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment